Using LockDown Browser with Respondus Monitor for Online Exams
This course uses LockDown Browser with Monitor for online exams. While there is no cost to you to use the software, you are required to have a webcam, which may be built into your computer or may be an external camera. Use a Mac or PC computer; Chromebooks are not compatible. Watch this short video to get a basic understanding of LockDown Browser and the Monitor webcam feature.
Download and install LockDown Browser to your Mac or PC computer from this link:
Instructions for using LockDown Browser and Monitor can be found in the student quick start guide. For additional resources, visit the Respondus Tools webpage.
Check LockDown Browser and Webcam Setup
It is important to test LockDown Browser and the webcam before you use the application in a graded test. Follow these steps to check your technology.
- Launch LockDown Browser, log into WebCampus and select this course.
- Complete the required steps of the Startup Sequence.
- Click on Begin Exam.
- Upon completing and submitting the practice quiz, exit LockDown Browser.
- Follow all specific test procedures and instructions provided.
- Ensure you are in a location where you will not be interrupted.
- Turn off all other devices (e.g., tablets, phones, second computers).
- Clear your desk of all external materials - books, papers, and other devices or distractions.
- Before starting the test, know how much time is available to complete all questions, and that you have allotted sufficient time to complete it in one sitting.
- LockDown Browser will prevent you from accessing other websites or applications during the test. You will be unable to exit the test until all questions are completed and submitted unless otherwise allowed by the instructor.
Webcam Video Tips
You should take into consideration the following information to produce a good webcam video.
- Avoid wearing hats or caps.
- Ensure your computer or tablet is on a firm surface (a desk or table). Do not have the computer on your lap, a bed, or other surface where the device (or you) are likely to move.
- If using a built-in webcam, avoid tilting the screen after the webcam setup is complete.
- Take the exam in a well-lit room and avoid backlighting, such as sitting with your back to a window.
Security and Privacy Information
Respondus LockDown Browser is a secure browser downloaded and installed on individual computers. It prevents users from accessing other websites and applications on the same device during a WebCampus test. Security and privacy information is listed below, with additional details available online.
- No personal data or information is exchanged or stored within the browser or by the vendor.
- LockDown Browser has no other function than to be used as a browser in conjunction with tests that require it.
- No existing browsers or programs are deleted or altered on the end user’s computer.
- Installed on OIT lab computers and most Lied Library computers.
Respondus Monitor uses a number of methods to limit access to video sessions and associated data. Security and privacy information is below, with additional details available online.
- Respondus Monitor uses industry standard SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) or TLS (Transport Layer Security) encryption to transfer information.
- Student identifiable information - name, grade, course name, and photos of identification cards - can only be accessed through WebCampus.
- Only users with instructor credentials for this course (e.g., instructors, teaching assistants, LMS administrators) are able to view video sessions in conjunction with the student identifiable information.
- Video URLs are one-time use and will not function if copied.
- Respondus uses independent, third-party security firms to review Monitor architecture and test for vulnerabilities and exploits.